Thursday, July 7, 2011

Getting Started!

Hi guys!  So I have been getting tons of questions about fitness and nutrition lately and I really like it!  I had no idea that a few pictures could really inspire other people to become fit!  Although I am still learning from everyone around me and reading different things, you cannot believe everything you read or hear!  You have to figure out what works best for you and that may take trial and error.  I began reading on bodybuilding.com and I started following a meal plan that I found on a page.  Of course, the meal plan was for a 30 year old, 150 lb woman looking to get lean.  So, I had to tweak it a bit considering I was already training hard at the time and living an active lifestyle.  The first thing to go in my diet (I think) was the sugar!  I literally used to walk through Walmart and eat a WHOLE bag of grapes while shopping.  Shhh don't tell anyone ;) Considering that it was fruit, I didn't really think it was a big deal to consume that much!  Well, fruit has lots of sugar in it.  ALthough it is the "good" kind, it can still have an effect on your body if you eat as much as I was eating.  At the same time, I cut out most processed foods.  Anything in a box like those yummy Fiber One chocolate grandola bars, I had to kick!  I trashed cereal because , it too, is loaded in sugar.  Instead of cereal, I began eating oatmeal!  Oatmeal is amazing!!! I have always loved it, but now I have found so many great recipes to make oatmeal THAT much better!  I will post those recipes soon!
Since I have always been somewhat conscious about what I eat, I never really had to cut out fast food because I never ate it to begin with.  But if you are like many others, cut it out!
Ever wonder how you can get a "real beef" taco from Taco Bell for only 89 cents?  For all we know, that "stuff" is most likely some sort of imitation meet or just made out of parts of animals that we don't need to mention.  GROSS!  Who wants to put that in their body?!
Guys, what I am trying to say, is just stick to the basics.  If it has a shelf life of longer than a month, do you really want to put that in your body?  It most likely has so many fillers and additives in it that make it possible for it to sit on the shelf THAT long without molding and becoming stale.
Staples in your new diet should include, good carbohydrates, lean proteins, and healthy fats.
You should eat about 6 times a day, 2.5 - 3 hours between each meal.  This may seem like a lot, but trust me it's not!  ANd if you love food as much as I do, then that won't be a problem!  I was so happy when I did not have to feel guilty about eating a meal that often!  YUM!
 My personal favorite things to eat are oats (there are soo many different ways to prepare them, I will post delicious recipes), sweet potatoes (are amazing-- not just at Thanksgiving) , Chicken breast, extra lean ground turkey, tuna, olive oil (++ some balsamic vinegar on salads- perfect dressing), SPINACH, zucchini, brown rice, black beans!


Xtra-Lean Proteins
Chicken Breasts
Cod
Crab (try canned, instead of tuna!)
Egg Whites
Extra Lean Ground Turkey, Chicken, or Beef (at least 95% lean)
Halibut
Orange Roughy
Ostrich
Protein Powder (Low carb & fat. Metabolic Drive is perfect!)
Tilapia
Shrimp
Tuna
Turkey Breasts

Complex Carbs
Beans (black) 
Brown Rice
Cream of Rice
Ezekiel Bread
Grits
Oats
Oat Bran Hot Cereal
Quinoa
Rice Cakes (non-flavored, no salt added)
Tortillas (corn, rice)
Wild Rice, Jasmine Rice
White Potatoes (sparingly)
Wheat Bran (FULL of fiber, perfect for low carb plans)
Yams

Healthy Fats
Avocados
Coconut Oil
Flax Seeds
Flax Oil
Grapeseed Oil
Natural Peanut Butter
Olive Oil
Nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans)Pumpkin Seeds
Salmon


"Free" Veggies (few carbs; mostly fiber) ****EAT UP***
Alfalfa Sprouts
Artichoke Hearts
Arugula
Asparagus
Bamboo Shoots
Beet Greens
Bock Choy
Broccoli (already a staple for most of us)
Brussels Sprouts
Cabbage
Cauliflower
Celery
Chives
Collard Greens
Cucumbers
Jicama (some carbs, not entirely "free")
Kale
Leeks
Lettuce
Mushrooms
Onion
Peppers (GREEN; red and yellow have carbs)
Radishes
Scallions
Spinach
Zucchini




LEAVE OUT THE HEAVY SAUCES, DRESSINGS, AND SALTY CONDIMENTS WHEN POSSIBLE! 
There is a seasoning called MRS.DASH-- IT IS SALT-FREE and I season EVERYTHING WITH IT! NOM NOM! 

No comments:

Post a Comment